Untouched natural environment, fresh air, peace and silence – all of
these characterise Szamosangyalos, the next “legendary” village. The first
part of the name, Szamos was received after river Szamos, while Angyalos
is the Hungarian equivalent of the Latin “angelus”.
Jókai was inspired by the village
Mór Jókai only once visited Szabolcs-Szatmár County
while he was taking part in a trip to Transylvania. In 1876 from Transylvania
he visited Ferenc and István Domahidy, his members of parliament,
and from here he travelled together with Ferenc to Szamosangyalos by car.
The description of his journey called “In the Ecsed-fen” was written based
on this experience, and according to the history of literature he heard
his anecdote, entitled “The cock of Csenger” from the Domahidy-s and in
his novel, entitled “The white women of Lõcse” he also used his
memories about Szatmár in chapter “Gregor Pintye”.
The biggest landowner of Szamosangyalos was the Domahidy family. In
the middle of the 19th century Ferenc Domahidy, known as the Lord Lieutenant
of Szatmár County, had a Classicist style mansion house built in
the village. An interesting fact about the building is that the frontage
is mezzanine while the back side is two-storied. Later the noble house
was re-built in eclectic style according to those days’ fashion. In the
basement there were two big rooms, the kitchen, serving place and lavatories
while on the first floor 4 rooms and a parlour could be found. In 1945
the members of the Domahidy family left the mansion house, and the house
became the centre of Kossuth Farmer’s Agricultural Co-operative in the
1950s. The valuable trees of the park were cut, and a storing place
for apples, a grinder and a distillery operated on its place. In the 1960s
the mansion house became unowned and deserted and its condition deteriorated.
The family crypt collapsed, the coffins were broken, the bones were scattered,
which were later buried in the cemetery.
Later the mansion house was provided with a new function and after
the necessary reconstructions a social residential institution was established
in the building for addicted people. Today this does not operate any more.
Meanwhile the building became a national monument and a relaxing park was
built around it. At present it is private-owned and cannot be visited.
(Rákóczi u. 48.)
The crypt of Domahidy family
The family’s still alive members had the crypt of Domahidy renovated
in the cemetery in the near past.
The national monument Calvinist church is a single-naved building with
its sanctuary to the east. In 1799 it was built from brick, which were
brought from Nagykároly, and Baroque and Classicist shapes were
combined harmonically. The high, robust, three-parted church tower gives
a special character to its frontage. The sheet iron onion-shaped cap above
the edge of the clock ends in a steeple, and there are a ball, flag and
star on it. (Until 1800, when the flood of river Szamos washed away the
church, the village’s church had a round ground-plan.) Inside at the east
and west sides simple columned wooden organ-lofts can be found. From
its 18th century “copf” furnishings the cylindriform vase of the beautiful
pulpit is decorated with carved motifs of plants and from the tripartite
cornice little carved wooden fruits hang. The tower in front of the church’s
frontage was raised in 1890. (Rákóczi u. 18., Tel: +36-44-520-075)
The famous Szatmár plum brandy (pálinka) is prepared
in a nice house of the village. The process of the famous – and aromatic
– product can be looked at every day. (Rákóczi u. 54., Tel:
Village houses with veranda
In many places of the village Szatmár’s village houses can be
seen, which remind people of the lifestyle of ancestors.
Monument of World War II
In honour of people who died in World War II a memorial plaque was